Seabed oil is one of the mineral resources buried in sedimentary rocks and bedrocks below the bottom of the ocean. The exploitation of seabed oil and natural gas began at the beginning of the 20th century, but only a small number of seabed oil fields were discovered for a long period of time. It was not until the late 1960s that the exploration and exploitation of offshore oil achieved rapid development.
There are two theories about the oil-forming mechanism of petroleum: biodeposition into oil and petrochemical oil.
The theory of biosedimentary oil change holds that oil is formed by the long-term evolution of organisms in ancient oceans or lakes. It belongs to biosedimentary oil and is non-renewable.
The petrochemical oil theory holds that oil is generated from the carbon in the earth’s crust itself, has nothing to do with biology, and is renewable.
Subsea oil and onshore oil are essentially the same, both are liquid to semi-solid mixtures of hydrocarbons (organic substances, mainly alkanes, naphthenes, and aromatics). Oil on land can also be divided into marine crude oil and continental crude oil. Marine crude oil is formed from organic matter in ancient oceans, while continental crude oil is formed in lakes on ancient land.
What is Offshore Oil Drilling?
Exploring and developing oil and gas in the ocean is the focus of modern marine geological exploration. It requires a large drill ship or platform to load drilling equipment to drill on the coast or offshore.
- Drilling ships can be divided into single body and double body (suitable for water depth of 30-200 meters).
- Platforms include bottom-mounted (suitable for water depths less than 30 meters) and pile-inserted (suitable for water depths of about 90 meters) fixed platforms, as well as semi-submersible floating platforms (suitable for water depths greater than 200 meters), which can be selected according to actual needs.
What is the Difference Between Offshore Oil Drilling and Land Drilling?
1. The composition of organic matter and the ratio of some chemical elements in offshore oil are different from those in continental oil.
2. In terms of exploitation, the exploitation of land crude oil and seabed crude oil is different. Conventional crude oil on land is relatively easy to exploit, while the exploitation of seabed crude oil involves more complex processes, including platform construction, drilling, and pipeline laying, which are different from land oil exploitation.
One is how to erect the derrick stably above the water surface and withstand the attack of wind and waves.
The second is how to build a special wellhead device between the turntable and the seabed to isolate the seawater from the wellbore.
Third, there are fewer vertical wells and more inclined wells in offshore drilling, so there must be offshore drilling platforms that can ensure the normal operation of drilling rigs and other drilling equipment.
3. The cost of offshore drilling is high, about 3 to 10 times higher than that of land drilling.
Chengdu Esimtech Petroleum Equipment Simulation Technology Co., Ltd. is based on the Sichuan Provincial Department of Education Petroleum Engineering Computer Simulation Technology Key Laboratory. It is a company engaged in scientific research, design, production, maintenance, sales and computer application technology in the field of oil and gas industry An integrated high-tech enterprise.
Esimtech is committed to the development of simulation and simulation systems for petroleum engineering and petroleum equipment, and has achieved a series of application results with completely independent intellectual property rights, continuously providing users with the best products and creating value for users. After more than 20 years of persistence and unremitting efforts, it has successively developed petroleum engineering such as drilling, well control, logging, oil production, gas production, downhole operations, oil and gas gathering and transportation, fracturing and acidizing, drilling rig installation, coiled tubing, and snubbing operations. Training simulation system, the product line covers the complete field of oil and gas industry application sites. In addition, the drilling simulator is constantly updated and the technology is becoming more and more mature. It has become recognized by the industry as the drilling simulator product with the most complete functions, the best performance and the most reasonable price at home and abroad.